Needless to say, one of the last things that any of us would want to lose is our car keys. Just imagine being locked out of your car, and how much more trouble you would be in if you are running late for a meeting or are caught up in the rain. It would, undoubtedly, be a total disaster and would most likely create a negative impact on your day.
The good thing about losing your car keys, however, is that like any other unpleasant situation, it can be avoided. All it needs is some organization and focused follow through in order to ensure that you will never lose your car keys again. Below, therefore, we take a look at 6 simple ways to ensure that you do not lose your car keys as follows:
1. Use a key tray or hookEnsure that you always put your car keys in either of these so that whenever you need them, you will know exactly where to find them. It is advisable to place the key tray or hook in an accessible place such as above the fridge, the table next to the main door, or your bedside etc. These are foolproof locations where you can store and easily retrieve your keys.
2. Use remindersPeople who are extremely busy with hectic schedules are most likely to forget things - their home and car keys included. So, if you are among this lot and find it difficult to organize your keys, remind yourself of the things you ought not to forget by placing notes all over your office or house. It may come across as silly but if it is what is needed, then it should be done. Put a note to the effect that you do not forget your car keys’ in your closet or on the main door so that before leaving your office or house, you are sure that you have them. Remembering that you have forgotten your car keys when already locked out and running late makes little sense.
3. Try key chainsHere, when we refer to key chains, you do not have to limit yourself to the Spiderman or Hello Kitty inspired varieties that abound. Sure they work - but if you suffer from a severe case of forgetfulness, try attaching your car keys to your wallet, door pass, parking pass, ID and for women, your beauty kits. You are sure to have the aforementioned items with you on a daily basis so are less likely to forget your car keys if you attach them to these items.
4. Adopt technologyWith today’s advances in technology, almost everything has become simplified and that includes locating lost objects such as car keys. Presently, there are gadgets that are designed to trace lost car keys through the use of transmitters that emit sounds so that you can track them wherever they may be. Operated through a main controller, such gadgets are, admittedly, a bit pricey.
5. Spare keysFrom the foregoing, it is evident that the main issue that we are trying to address is not losing our car keys again. However, it is always beneficial to plan ahead and have a safety net when you can. Ensuring that you have spare keys is thus a great way of saving yourself a lot of trouble when the above mentioned tips are not observed. Just make sure that the spare keys are always somewhere safe like in your wallet or in the inner pocket of your bag. Most importantly, remember where you keep them in case you need them.
6. Call in a locksmithIf you are always losing your car keys for one reason or the other, you may choose to have new ones made or go the safer route and have your car locks replaced. The latter is especially smart because it guarantees you peace of mind that no one will be able to access your car. This is also a welcome idea if your locks were getting old and worn out.
In the unfortunate event that none of these tips prove effective and you still end up misplacing your car keys, feel free to call A-1 Lock & Key to schedule a quick appointment with one of their skilled and licensed locksmiths who should be able to sort out your problem.
A-1 Lock & Key
15435 Schafer Ave
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
Phone: (225) 924-7007
A-1 Safe & Lock
A-1 Safe & Lock, Prairieville, LAFull service commercial and residential locksmith